Proposed patchset to support DreamPlug on freebsd 9 and 10.

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Sat Aug 4 19:33:12 UTC 2012

After exchanging a few emails with Richard yesterday we realized why I
had to put some tweaks on top of the patches he had posted... there are
two different flavors of a DreamPlug v10.  One of my co-workers has a
unit marked "1001" and it has NOR SPI flash, as does Richard's.  My unit
is marked "1001N" and has NAND flash (which makes it a bit like an
expanded GuruPlug).

This is going to drive the need for two separate .dts files and two
separate kernel configs.  I reworked the patchset I've been using for
9-stable and -current to move in this direction, and I'm attaching what
I've got so far as a proposal for handling this difference.

The attached patches don't include Hiroki's led driver, this is just
minimal dreamplug support on top of a fresh checkout of 9 or 10.

I've also heard there are differences in the v0901 dreamplug units, but
I don't know what the differences are.  That might require yet another
set of config.

I broke the kernel config into 3 pieces... a DREAMPLUG-BASE that has
config for things that are dreamplug-specific and common to all
dreamplugs, and notably is not a GENERIC or kitchen-sink type config
file.  Then there are DREAMPLUG-1001 and -1001N config files that
include the -BASE file, and add other options to make a more fully
usable system.  I think there's plenty of room for changes and additions
to these -1001[N] files, such as IPFW and other things that you might
want right out of the box -- I do mainly embedded systems work, so I
don't know what most folks might want.

The config for the 1001N needs more work, notably more support for the
NAND flash in the .dts and kernel configs.  Since the whole reason I'm
playing with a dreamplug is to get some experience using nand flash,
I'll be working on that in the days to come.  I just wanted to get this
out there and see if folks think this is a workable direction for
supporting different dreamplug flavors.

-- Ian