How can I cross-compile the packages for ARM on i386 FreeBSD?

Naoyuki Tai ntai at smartfruit.com
Wed Sep 21 14:04:37 UTC 2011

I'm running my DreamPlug off of a 4GB USB stick. First partition is
a small DOS partition for kernel.bin, and the rest (/dev/sd2s2a) is
the root partition. (I'll switch to larger SD card at some point.)

With the root file system compiled into the kernel,
(options 	ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:/dev/da2s2a\")

The first snag was that I could not use the portsnap.
After googling a little, I found out that disabling the clustering
of file I/O may fix it.

cat /etc/fstab
/dev/da2s2a / ufs rw,noclusterr,noclusterw 1 1

After finding this out, I noticed

http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/FreeBSD_8.0_Setup

uses these mount option flags. (doh!)

Anyhow, at this point, I can probably compile every port. But it
would be really time consuming to do so on the DreamPlug.

I'd like to learn how I can build the packages for the ARM on
the Intel FreeBSD 8.2 where I compiled the kernel for ARM.
Could someone point the direction for me?

Thanks.

-- Tai