RM9200 tuning

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 8 23:17:05 UTC 2010

In message: <20100308225420.GB19800 at cicely7.cicely.de>
            Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> writes:
: On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:38:50PM -0800, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
: > On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:32:57 +0100
: > Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> mentioned:
: >
: > > Well I still don't use a real loader, just the plain bootcode.
: > > I would be very happy to switch to loader(8) with FICL, tuneables and
: > > bootpromt.
: > > Is it possible to do today?
: > > I was with Warner using my elfbuild hardware for the first time when he
: > > did the first steps on RM9200.
: > > Therefor I'm probably still using obsolete old quick and dirty hacks.
: > > If loader(8) can be used now it is the first thing I will change before
: > > trying anything else.
: >
: > I belive it should be pretty easy to port ubldr(8) to support AT91 as raj@ made it
: > working on the Marverll ARM platform.  I'm not sure which details should be
: > reimplemented, though, but from what I seen it should be quite a little work
: > required.
: >
: > I'm just using plain uboot loading direclty from flash without Atmel 1st level
: > loader and then use uboot to load FreeBSD kernel/pass hints and kenv variables.
: > I think I posted the relevant code a couple of times to the list, but maybe it
: > really makes more sense to port loader(8) instead as my code isn't going to make
: > it into the official uboot distribution.
:
: The ability to configure kenv variables is a big win.
: I'm using sys/boot/arm/at91/boot2 from spiflash instead of uboot, which
: directly starts the kernel.
: The kernel has ugly hardcoded things, such as rootdev and hints.
: There is already a good amount of support for loader(8) in libat91
: so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
: I may give it a try after finishing some other projects.

I have an 8MB SPI flash on one of my boards...  Maybe I should get
/boot/loader support going with it..  as well as the different
GEOM_FOO partioning schemes...  Certainly would make a certain local
company interested...

Warner