RM9200 tuning

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely7.cicely.de
Mon Mar 8 22:54:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 02:38:50PM -0800, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:32:57 +0100
> Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> mentioned:
>
> > Well I still don't use a real loader, just the plain bootcode.
> > I would be very happy to switch to loader(8) with FICL, tuneables and
> > bootpromt.
> > Is it possible to do today?
> > I was with Warner using my elfbuild hardware for the first time when he
> > did the first steps on RM9200.
> > Therefor I'm probably still using obsolete old quick and dirty hacks.
> > If loader(8) can be used now it is the first thing I will change before
> > trying anything else.
>
> I belive it should be pretty easy to port ubldr(8) to support AT91 as raj@ made it
> working on the Marverll ARM platform.  I'm not sure which details should be
> reimplemented, though, but from what I seen it should be quite a little work
> required.
>
> I'm just using plain uboot loading direclty from flash without Atmel 1st level
> loader and then use uboot to load FreeBSD kernel/pass hints and kenv variables.
> I think I posted the relevant code a couple of times to the list, but maybe it
> really makes more sense to port loader(8) instead as my code isn't going to make
> it into the official uboot distribution.

The ability to configure kenv variables is a big win.
I'm using sys/boot/arm/at91/boot2 from spiflash instead of uboot, which
directly starts the kernel.
The kernel has ugly hardcoded things, such as rootdev and hints.
There is already a good amount of support for loader(8) in libat91
so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
I may give it a try after finishing some other projects.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de