how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sun Jan 13 05:37:27 UTC 2013

Adrian Chadd wrote this message on Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 19:30 -0800:
> IMHO gcc shuld be available until all of the platforms that we
> currently ship FreeBSD on gets clang support.

Though, we have a very ancient version of gcc, a modern version would
support the AES-NI intrinsicts that I am thinking of using...  It's
more of a question of how long do we need to keep support for gcc
4.2.1, not another modern gcc/other compiler...

> This includes MIPS (which is there, but I don't think the default MIPS
> build uses clang at the moment) and ia64, which Marcel has been
> dutifully working on.
>
> Please also note that people can and will compile FreeBSD on a
> non-default-system compiler ; so deprecating gcc (either support or
> framework) should be considered carefully.

Considering that the icc stuff was recently removed, unless the compiler
has good gcc/clang emulation, I can't see how far another compiler would
get compiling our code...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579