how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 13 03:31:00 UTC 2013

IMHO gcc shuld be available until all of the platforms that we
currently ship FreeBSD on gets clang support.

This includes MIPS (which is there, but I don't think the default MIPS
build uses clang at the moment) and ia64, which Marcel has been
dutifully working on.

Please also note that people can and will compile FreeBSD on a
non-default-system compiler ; so deprecating gcc (either support or
framework) should be considered carefully.

Adrian