Removing CVS from HEAD

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sun Sep 9 13:34:55 UTC 2012

Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
> Since we have traditionally included cvs, it does make sense.  People
> that use FreeBSD have used it as the basis for systems that they have
> deployed, including cvs.  There's no compelling reason to removing
> right now, and doing so will break some of these people.

We had cvs in base because we used it.  We no longer do.  Nobody
maintains it, and it's four years out of date, not to mention that what
we have (minus our own modifications, which Eitan has already applied to
the port) does not even correspond to any official release that I've
been able to identify - the code matches, but the ancillary files don't.

> Let's let this round of changes to the FreeBSD source system shake out
> before we become eager to kick cvs out.  Perhaps revisit for 11?

What round of changes?  We've used Subversion for base for years.  Now
doc and ports use it too, and portmgr@ have already announced that they
will stop supporting CVS by the end of February 2013.  Anybody who's
actively developing FreeBSD or maintaining local diffs is already using
Subversion, and if they aren't, they should.  Everybody else uses csup,
or ought to - it is much, much faster than cvs co / cvs up.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no