Removing CVS from HEAD

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun Sep 9 04:51:13 UTC 2012

On 8 September 2012 23:44, Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com> wrote:
>> Since we have traditionally included cvs, it does make sense.  People
>> that use FreeBSD have used it as the basis for systems that they have
>> deployed, including cvs.  There's no compelling reason to removing
>> right now, and doing so will break some of these people.

cvs is obsolete. The people that need it can install the package or port.

>> Let's let this round of changes to the FreeBSD source system shake
>> out before we become eager to kick cvs out.  Perhaps revisit for 11?

The reason to remove cvs is because cvs is no longer *the* vcs system
and is largely being replaced. The reason to bring it up now is that
FreeBSD's use of cvs was the only real remaining blocker.

> And keep in mind that the new system can be used on a plain FreeBSD
> machine without anything else installed.

why does this matter? We have ports and packages.

--
Eitan Adler