[patch] allow crash dumps to Linux swap partitions

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Feb 17 12:41:58 UTC 2012

"Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> I see two ways to fix this:
> 1. We can allow dumping to the MBR partition with type "ebr".
> This also will allow foot shooting for some users.
>
> 2. We can revert r230064 EBR's part, because it doesn't work.

The problem is that the question being asked ("is dumping allowed?") is
too simplistic.  There are actually two questions: "is dumping to this
partition allowed?" and "is dumping to a sub-partition of this partition
allowed?"  The first question only applies to the actual device passed
to swapon(2) - in dougb's case, ad0s7 - while the second only applies to
its ancestors in the geom hierarchy - in dougb's case, ad0s4 and ad0.

Fixing this properly requires a KPI / KBI change, though.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no