Official git export

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:18:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
> on 03/09/2011 15:11 perryh at pluto.rain.com said the following:
>> Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>> ... keeping local history is of course not necessary, but when
>>> you need to do some serious history analysis it comes extremely
>>> convenient.
>>
>> In the area where one is working, certainly, but I don't expect to
>> need the commit history of the contrib tree while working on UFS or
>> gmirror.
>
> Do you know of a tool (VCS or otherwise) that allows to checkout parts of a tree
> with history and other parts without history?
> If you talk about using different tool for different parts of the tree, then,
> well, good luck.
>
>>> ... doing some non-trivial FreeBSD development myself ...
>>
>> Unless you're considerably older than you look in that Flickr
>> photo from about a year ago (in Kiev), I was doing non-trivial
>> OS development before you finished middle school :)
>
> What can I say.
> Perhaps you had a success using your model of different tools per different
> parts of tree.  Maybe it saved you days when you were using a modem for internet
> access.  But I don't see why we have to chose this model now.

If git is interrupted with a pull/rebase/etc, I think it will continue
to continue loading the metadata from where it left off. git clone is
a slightly different story (several people posted that clones can't be
interrupted)..

Sadly, I do see where Perry is coming from, having to deal with slow
downlinks (once or twice a year I go back to rural WA state where
they're very much in the digital dark ages) however, there are some
major benefits which shouldn't be discounted when using a DCS.

One of the great things about FreeBSD is that it's a complete
distribution. Given how many additional packages and the like that
need to be downloaded on a regular basis, I would think/hope that this
would be a small speedbump in the overall scheme of things --
especially because frequent incremental updates are relatively small.

Example (using the linux kernel sourcebase -- I did my last pull a 3~4
weeks ago):

$ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 5052, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (3429/3429), 814.98 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2733/2733), completed with 748 local objects.
>From http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
   ab7e2db..9e79e3e  master     -> origin/master
>From http://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6
 * [new tag]         v3.1-rc3   -> v3.1-rc3
 * [new tag]         v3.1-rc4   -> v3.1-rc4
Updating ab7e2db..9e79e3e
Fast-forward
$

Thanks,