Official git export

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 3 06:47:03 UTC 2011

on 03/09/2011 15:11 perryh at pluto.rain.com said the following:
> Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> ... keeping local history is of course not necessary, but when
>> you need to do some serious history analysis it comes extremely
>> convenient.
>
> In the area where one is working, certainly, but I don't expect to
> need the commit history of the contrib tree while working on UFS or
> gmirror.

Do you know of a tool (VCS or otherwise) that allows to checkout parts of a tree
with history and other parts without history?
If you talk about using different tool for different parts of the tree, then,
well, good luck.

>> ... doing some non-trivial FreeBSD development myself ...
>
> Unless you're considerably older than you look in that Flickr
> photo from about a year ago (in Kiev), I was doing non-trivial
> OS development before you finished middle school :)

What can I say.
Perhaps you had a success using your model of different tools per different
parts of tree.  Maybe it saved you days when you were using a modem for internet
access.  But I don't see why we have to chose this model now.

--
Andriy Gapon