Linux kernel compatability

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 6 18:55:37 UTC 2011

On 01/06/2011 07:17, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately it would create quite a lot of code churn as there are
>> relatively few that are minorly different.  You can page through the
>> wrapper code if you're interested.
>>
>> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/head/sys/ofed/include/linux/
>>

> One thing I am not too sure about is sys/ofed.  Given the entire
> discussions it might well be better suited in sys/contrib/ofed under
> the assumtion that the code is mostly maintained outside our tree and
> we get in occational updates.

If you look at what Jeff has done, you'll see that the external code
follows our standards of residing in sys/contrib/ofed, while the code
that glues it into the tree is in sys/ofed.

> I hadn't quite liked the sys/cddl but given that we had sys/gnu as
> well. And then there is sys/compat.

A slight case could be made for sys/compat/linux, but that is already taken.

> I wonder if you could still or maybe not make the shim layer something
> like it's own .ko kind of like opensolaris.ko (you cannot name it
> linux.ko though;)

I'd actually prefer that we not do this.  opensolaris.ko made sense
because we have zfs and dtrace, and even that causes problems as we get
version skew between them...

> I guess similarly things in user space might go to contrib as well?
src/contrib is for code that's maintained outside the source tree that
we adapt.

Warner