Linux kernel compatability

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Thu Jan 6 22:40:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Warner Losh wrote:

> On 01/06/2011 07:17, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately it would create quite a lot of code churn as there are
>>> relatively few that are minorly different.  You can page through the
>>> wrapper code if you're interested.
>>>
>>> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/head/sys/ofed/include/linux/
>>
>> One thing I am not too sure about is sys/ofed.  Given the entire
>> discussions it might well be better suited in sys/contrib/ofed under
>> the assumtion that the code is mostly maintained outside our tree and
>> we get in occational updates.
>
> If you look at what Jeff has done, you'll see that the external code follows
> our standards of residing in sys/contrib/ofed, while the code that glues it
> into the tree is in sys/ofed.

I might just be too blind to see an ofed there:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/projects/ofed/head/sys/contrib/

It's rdma I guess.  It feels just awkward to have the glue in
sys/mumble rather than completely bundled in sys/contrib/ofed/** like
we do for ipfilter, pf, ... to my understanding.

The real glue into our stack, I assume, sits in net*/* mostly.

>> I guess similarly things in user space might go to contrib as well?
> src/contrib is for code that's maintained outside the source tree that we
> adapt.

Are all user space tools hand-rolled or are they ported over as well?

Maybe I should wait till Jeff will post the diff to see.

/bz

         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails.html