Linux kernel compatability

David Xu davidxu at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 5 09:56:19 UTC 2011

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Roberson <jroberson at jroberson.net> (from Tue, 4 Jan 2011
> 13:13:00 -1000 (HST)):
>
>> After this discussion I'm leaning towards leaving the layer I have in
>> the ofed/ directory and leaving it tied to the version of ofed we
>> currently have imported.
>
> To give you one more little argument in favour of this: copies in SVN
> are cheap. If there is the need to have the compat shim available for
> something else, it can be put into another place later.
>
> On a somewhat related area: now that you've done this huge compat work
> you have a very good idea which parts correspond to what in the other
> OS. It would be great if this could be documented somewhere (wiki?) in a
> way that people which are interested to write a FreeBSD native driver
> just need to have a look at some pages to be able to see what linux
> stuff they have to change in which way to get a big part of the porting
> covered. IMO this would also help in reviewing and verifying the
> correctness of your current work (and as such would be beneficial to the
> sponsors of this work), as people could see if you missed some semantic
> differences or overlooked some implicit assumptions.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

This is still uncertain, the patch is so large, I don't know who will
review it, the person who has ability to review it must know Linux
locking and OFED very well ? plus few of us are using OFED.
Just like my process shared pthread mutex project, few of us are using
the pshared mutex, so it seems nobody wants to make a comment.