Linux kernel compatability

Wed Jan 5 09:22:35 UTC 2011

Quoting Jeff Roberson <jroberson at jroberson.net> (from Tue, 4 Jan 2011
13:13:00 -1000 (HST)):

> After this discussion I'm leaning towards leaving the layer I have
> in the ofed/ directory and leaving it tied to the version of ofed we
> currently have imported.

To give you one more little argument in favour of this: copies in SVN
are cheap. If there is the need to have the compat shim available for
something else, it can be put into another place later.

On a somewhat related area: now that you've done this huge compat work
you have a very good idea which parts correspond to what in the other
OS. It would be great if this could be documented somewhere (wiki?) in
a way that people which are interested to write a FreeBSD native
driver just need to have a look at some pages to be able to see what
linux stuff they have to change in which way to get a big part of the
porting covered. IMO this would also help in reviewing and verifying
the correctness of your current work (and as such would be beneficial
to the sponsors of this work), as people could see if you missed some
semantic differences or overlooked some implicit assumptions.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm: