Official git export

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 30 02:41:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, K. Macy wrote:

>> My understanding is that with git it's possible to "graft" one tree onto
>> another, so that most people only have to check out recent history, and can
>> check out a separate ancient history.  This has at least been proposed in
>> the context of the net-im/zephyr upstream, where development happened
>> concurrently in multiple trees (in different VCSes) for a period of time
>> maybe ten years ago.  Current development is all consolidated in a single
>> subversion tree, and the proposal was to convert that repository now to have
>> something to work with, and worry about getting the ancient history right at
>> a later time.
>>

> My knowledge of git is limited but I know that git clone has the
> --depth option for specifying a shallow clone that only goes back N

I am pretty sure that this results in a repo that is not very useful for
committing to and pushing from (though I have not really used it, myself,
so could be mistaken).

> changesets. Git also has "submodule" which provides some functionality
> for the notion of subprojects which can limit what is enclosed within
> a given repo to some extent.

True, but the word on the street around here is that it's kind of a hack,
and it doesn't really feel like it would be appropriate for splitting up
things within base.  (It would, however, make some amount of sense if we
were ever crazy enough to combine two or more of base, doc/www, and
ports.)

-Ben