FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Aug 18 21:58:49 UTC 2011

On Thursday 18 August 2011 23:24:21 Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>   And, I think, it is too late. Why somebody should now choose FreeBSD
> when here is fancy Linux with bells and whistles? :( Yes, I'm
> pessimistic :(

Hi,

I think, that we now have a chance to make a better bells and whistles
solution than in Linux. I personally have big plans to enhance the multimedia
framework under FreeBSD, like /dev/dsp, /dev/midi, /dev/video0, /dev/dvb  by
using the recently invented cuse4bsd. For example I want to make a system
global Audio daemon that can do more advanced audio processing and not at
least echo cancelling for audio devices, seamless and transparent to the
client applications, using standard /dev/dspX nodes, which eventually will
support Bluetooth Audio headsets aswell and 3G modems. The only part which is
missing is time and a good sponsor for this project.

--HPS