FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 18 21:24:27 UTC 2011

Hello, Vadim.
You wrote 18 августа 2011 г., 3:10:19:

> The other social problem is lack of companies which offer commercial
> support of FreeBSD like RedHat does.
  Main social problem, IMHO, that there WAS NOT (I forgot Linux
history and don't rememberfirst uf-distributive) and, later,
Ubuntu-like versions of FeeBSD. Even if these doen;t replace Windows
on many desktops (1% now?), they prepare Linux-aware users, and some
of these users becomes admins or people, who decide which OS should be
used in their business.

  And, I think, it is too late. Why somebody should now choose FreeBSD
when here is fancy Linux with bells and whistles? :( Yes, I'm
pessimistic :(

 I don't say, that people need all these B&W on servers, for example.
No.

 It works like this: user choose to try something fancy and trendy,
 and even if he don't start to use it now, after evaluation, he'll
 return to this system later, if he need to choose something for real
 task.

   Of course, system should be suitable for this task. But almost
 everything is ``suitable'' for common tasks. And it is NOT ENOUGH
 to be technically better. System should be far more superior to be
 chosen, if it is not fancy/trendy. Yes, I belive, that FreeBSD is
 better than Linux (at least on supported hardware) in server tasks,
 more clear, more solid, etc. But it is ``only'' better, and is not
 enough.

   Other factors are hardware certification and hosting providers.
 And, yes, commercial software. I mean Oracle and (not-so-commercial
 but very important) Java :)

   BTW, I belive that Solaris is better than FreeBSD and much, much
 better that Linux for many server tasks. Now Solaris future is
 unclear, but before Sun/Oracle acquisition it looks TECHNICALLY very
 good. But it was not fancy... Ooops... And, even more, I've worked
 with "small" Sun's servers (like SunFire X4xxx), and with
 Supermicro-based servers and with Dell servers in same class. Sun's
 was TECHNICALLY much better, and cost was almost the same. But many
 of my friends buy Dell or Supermicro for their businesses. Why?!
 Because ``Sun makes very expensive stuff for very big companies''.
 And it was Sun, with all marketing money, etc!

   I don't think, that last paragraph is off-topic -- it is example of
 system with exactly same non-techincal problems.

   And even best-in-class or best-in-world package management system
 and streamlined base system DON'T SOLVE non-technical problems. They
 could help don't lose current users, but they can not help find new
 ones!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>