RFC: ARP Packet Queues

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Fri Oct 29 17:42:36 UTC 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 13:19 , Garrett Cooper wrote:

>    1. This needs a tab after the #define for the macro:
>
> +#define V_arp_maxhold		VNET(arp_maxhold)

OK.

>    2. Is the naming convention for these sysctls always
> net.link.ether imply arp, or is it another naming convention?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

ARP maps from inet to ether so net.link.ether.inet is where these are.

Are you thinking about Neighbor Discovery and other such ARP like protocols
for other, higher layer, protocols?

>    3. Is there a reason why packets_dropped is a signed quantity,
> i.e. int, not size_t, etc?

I should fix that.

>    The rest looks ok, but I could be missing some context, or a
> subtlety of some kind. I'll give this a shot on my new router box this
> weekend because it looks interesting.

Thanks.

Be sure so increase maxtries as well as maxhold otherwise you'll be limited
in how many packets you can hold.

Best,
George