Adapting FreeBSD to PSARC/2010/029.

Edward Tomasz Napierała trasz at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 29 19:12:00 UTC 2010

Currently, NFSv4 ACLs support in FreeBSD adheres to a draft by Sam Falkner
(it also complies with RFC3530, but that one leaves many things undefined).
Semantics for both UFS and ZFS is exactly the same.  With ZFS v28, the
semantics has changed; see the link below for details:

http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2010/029/20100126_mark.shellenbaum

In short, the semantics is simplified - "weird stuff" no longer happens
after chmod, entries don't get duplicated during inheritance, and trivial
ACLs no longer contain three "DENY" entries, which is also more friendly
to MS Windows.

Patch below makes UFS comply with the new semantics instead of Falkner's
draft.  It's controlled by sysctl and disabled by default; to enable, set
vfs.acl_nfs4_old_semantics to 0.

Review is welcome.  I'd like to commit it as soon as I finish writing
regression tests, with the new semantics disabled by default.  I plan
to change the default after ZFS v28 gets committed to CURRENT, to keep
UFS and ZFS in sync.

http://people.freebsd.org/~trasz/acl-psarc-2.diff

--
If you cut off my head, what would I say?  Me and my head, or me and my body?