Importing the fusefs kernel module?

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Thu Oct 28 09:29:06 UTC 2010

>      So I would be game to help maintain things, but I'd need help
> getting up to speed on FUSE and figure out the lay of the land. I
> wouldn't be very effective for a while though because I'm not
> knowledgeable in the ways of the vfs[, yet?]..
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

    It would be great to also have support for something like
gvfs-fuse-daemon. It has been long since it was added to gnome, but our
fuse implementation just can not handle it. When been used, sshfs and
other fusefs get blocked until the calling app that triggers the use of
gvfs-fuse-daemon gets an I/O error from the kernel.

    PC-BSD (and desktop-oriented bsd's) could also benefit of this, it
allows working with files everywhere with any app. I've seen kubuntu
(kde based distro) uses gvfs-fuse-daemon to handle remote files, so you
(or dolphin instead) don't have to copy the remote files locally to open
them.

    Moreover, I had many troubles with ntfs-3g (when copying lots of
files from/to ntfs, it stalls and then fails). fuse-ipod simply doesn't
work. Not to mention I once tried to port ifuse and friends (to work
with new ipods/iphones), I gave up.

    In the server side, things like glusterfs and others would be very
useful. At least it would be very useful for me.

    The point is, do we stick with fuse or do we switch to puffs ? What
is harder, reorganize the code we already have (which seems that has
many problems) or we use something new ? And whe the choice is made, do
we keep the code as a port or do we import it into the kernel  tree ? I
don't have enough knowledge to maintain, but I could help a bit testing
(and so I can also learn internals and the start helping).

    I may be mistaken, but that's how I see it from the shore. Just my
humble opinion ...

    Regards,

    Gus