Importing the fusefs kernel module?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Tue Oct 26 07:35:08 UTC 2010

On 2010-Oct-26 00:37:18 +0200, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
>On 10/25/10 23:46, Kostik Belousov wrote:

>>> Yes, but on the other hand, not importing it means that the code will
>>> only decay faster. It's basically a damage control issue :)

IMHO, Kostik is correct - whilst the Project has imported code with
rough edges in the past, the code was usable/useful as imported as was
undergoing active development.  My understanding is that you are not
offering to provide active maintainership which basically means you
are offering to import a block of buggy code which will then be left
to rot further.

>	- survives fsx runs with arguments "-W -R -L", i.e. no mmaped
>operations, no file size / truncate operations

mmap(2) is fairly critical:  An initial quick check shows that cp(1),
cmp(1), ar(1) and grep(1) use it where possible and rtld(1) relies on it.

I would suggest that fusefs should remain as a port until it becomes
reasonably stable and has someone willing to actively maintain it.

--
Peter Jeremy