Importing the fusefs kernel module?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 25 22:37:32 UTC 2010

On 10/25/10 23:46, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:38:44PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> On 10/25/10 23:19, Kostik Belousov wrote:
>>
>>> This is not going to work. The code is unmaintained. Committing it into
>>> the src/ just makes the pile of not working code in src/ bigger.
>>
>> Yes, but on the other hand, not importing it means that the code will
>> only decay faster. It's basically a damage control issue :)
> No, the fusefs it is not usable in its current state (means, causing random
> kernel memory corruption).

The current state of it (tested against sshfs on 8-stable amd64) is:

	- survives blogbench runs
	- survives fsx runs with arguments "-W -R -L", i.e. no mmaped
operations, no file size / truncate operations

... without crashing. I cannot verify kernel memory corruption but I'm
running a heavy X desktop here and it survives.

> Committing it causes wrong users expectation, because code does
> not work, and also looks like a trick to make it appears to be maintaned,
> which obviously will not happen.
>
> Consider this as an official objection for the import, unless somebody
> is going to take the maintainership.

Noted.