[RFC] Remove @owner and @user from package list

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 11 00:32:21 UTC 2010

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    When doing some research, it appears that while functionality in
>>> theory exists for @owner and @user in the package list, it isn't
>>> actually used in the pkg_install code at all, adding unnecessary bloat
>>> to package lists;
>
>     Doing some more digging, there are a handful of ports that I don't
> have installed that implement this functionality:
> @mode ...
> @owner ...
 > @group ...

I would certainly shed no tears if these went away.

OTOH, I can see a use for them in pkg_create, to
set the mode/owner/group in the resulting tarball.
This would be good when building a package from a
port while running as non-root user.

Of course, we could also do this from the mtree
description at either package creation time (reading
the mtree description and using it to set file properties
in the tarball) or package install time (using the
mtree description to set the final file properties
on disk).

Tim