[RFC] Remove @owner and @user from package list

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Apr 11 14:20:19 UTC 2010

In message: <4BC1188F.3060001 at freebsd.org>
            Tim Kientzle <kientzle at freebsd.org> writes:
: Garrett Cooper wrote:
: > On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com>
: > wrote:
: >>>    When doing some research, it appears that while functionality in
: >>> theory exists for @owner and @user in the package list, it isn't
: >>> actually used in the pkg_install code at all, adding unnecessary bloat
: >>> to package lists;
: >     Doing some more digging, there are a handful of ports that I don't
: > have installed that implement this functionality:
: > @mode ...
: > @owner ...
: > @group ...
:
: I would certainly shed no tears if these went away.
:
: OTOH, I can see a use for them in pkg_create, to
: set the mode/owner/group in the resulting tarball.
: This would be good when building a package from a
: port while running as non-root user.
:
: Of course, we could also do this from the mtree
: description at either package creation time (reading
: the mtree description and using it to set file properties
: in the tarball) or package install time (using the
: mtree description to set the final file properties
: on disk).

On the creation side, something like the above would be useful.

makefs supports storing a tree's metadata in an .mtree file.  We could
obviate the need for those keywords if tar could be made to do the
same thing :)

I'm working on an unpriv'd installworld (where the meta data would go
to the .mtree file, and the files would go into a tree owned as the
user building).  Mostly it is a port from NetBSD, but having tar that
would respect this stuff would be great.  Bonus points if the tag in
mtree could be used as a file selector (either additively or
subtractively).

Warner