RFC: making gpart default

Takahashi Yoshihiro nyan at jp.FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 27 13:08:45 UTC 2008

In article <901FB1DE-BA4C-405C-8F8E-AA8CCC6A89FA at mac.com>
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> writes:

> o  I do not have a pc98 machine. I've been testing on
>     a memory disk and validated inter-operability, but
>     I don't have FreeBSD booting a running on pc98.

I tested gpart on pc98 and found some problems.

1. A disklabel checking in g_part_bsd_read() is failed.
2. g_part_pc98_dumpconf() does not print a slice name.
3. g_part_pc98_probe() is too strict.
4. It's failed to recognize a big SCSI disk as BSD slice.
5. A (bit strange) FAT slice is recoginized as BSD slice.
(6. Do we need more work for libdisk?)

I fixed 1, 2 and 3.
The patch is:
http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~nyan/geom/g_part_pc98.diff

My environment is:
http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~nyan/geom/dmesg.txt
http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~nyan/geom/geom_pc98.txt
http://home.jp.freebsd.org/~nyan/geom/g_part_pc98.txt

---
TAKAHASHI Yoshihiro <nyan at jp.FreeBSD.org>