RFC: making gpart default

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Thu Sep 25 19:50:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> wrote:
> I'd like to switch all architectures to gpart for the reasons given
> below. All current partitioning schemes are supported by gpart and
> work on all platforms. On top of that, ia64 and powerpc are using
> gpart exclusively already.

What, if anything, do we need to do to start using it ourselves now on
i386 or amd64 platforms?  Just change kernel options?

Also, while here,  the APM (apple partition manager) module doesn't
quite work with Tivo disks.  Tivo drives don't have the DDR signature.
 Simply removing the DDR code enables FreeBSD to mount and work with
tivo drives.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete