Fine grain select locking.

Jeff Roberson jroberson at chesapeake.net
Wed Jul 4 19:05:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Attilio Rao wrote:

> 2007/7/4, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org>:
>> There seem to be two parts of owning a benchmark:
>>
>> - Establishing baselines over time -- how doe FreeBSD 4.8, 5.5, 6.0, 6.1,
>> 6.2,
>>   6-STABLE weekly, 7-CURRENT weekly, and maybe a Linux or NetBSD version
>>   perform for the workload using otherwise identical configuration.
>>
>> - Measurement and feedback -- identifying bottlenecks, working with
>> developers
>>   to measure the results of specific optimizations, etc, across the life
>> cycle
>>   of the patch.
>
> Another problem here would be about the hardware availabilty
> (obviously I'm speaking about scalability improvements).
> Until now, tests have been done mainly on amd64 machines provided by
> Kris and Jeff, IIRC.
> Having a wider range of targets would help a lot in these cases.

Yes, definitely.  For the scheduler work I often see certain decisions
fair worse on different platforms even running the same workload.  It
would be valuable to me to have a wider array of hardware as well as
benchmarks.  The netperf cluster helps, but for general scheduler work I
also need to know how it fares on a large variety of platforms.

Thanks,
Jeff