Fine grain select locking.

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Jul 4 19:43:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007, Robert Watson wrote:

> I also worry about the narrowness of the benchmarking we're doing -- however,
>
> A point I've made at a number of devsummits and elsewhere is that what we
> really need now is more people to "take ownership" of the performance of
> workloads they care about.  They don't need to be the people to do the
> optimizations, but if they could help manage outstanding patchsets, measure
> the change in performance over time, get involved in profiling, etc, then
> that will have a big effect on performance for the workload, as has happened
> with MySQL.
>
> Here are some workloads I'd really like to see people take responsibility
> for:

as a side note. A local German IT mag ran a "contest" last year.
There is an english translation at
 	http://firebird.sourceforge.net/connect/ct-dbContest.html

One thing mentioned there something Dell put together:
 	http://linux.dell.com/dvdstore
which might be an interesting "workload" to test for too.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                 bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT
Software is harder than hardware  so better get it right the first time.