New "timeout" api, to replace callout

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 2 03:53:34 PST 2007

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> o TCP's data structure is exported to userspace and contains the
>   timeout data structures.  This complicates timeout handling as
>   the data structure is not known to userland and we have to do
>   some hacks to prevent exposure.
>
>    -> The timer facility should provide an opaque userland compat
>       header definition.

I think it is important to do this, but I have some hopes that in 8 we'll have
fixed up the muddle involving exported data structures.  Obviously, that
hasn't happened yet, and I had hoped to do it for 7...  Perhaps this time one
of us will succeed :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge