Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Mon Mar 6 00:46:09 PST 2006

Ollivier Robert wrote:
> Now, I don't think subversion is the answer.  It has some better things
> than CVS (which is not difficult in itself) but still lacks a fundamental
> feature: when you merge from a branch, it has no memory that you did so and
> when.  It is bad.

Subversion is really two products.  One is a network-aware versioned
filesystem, the other is a set of tools for working on top of that
filesystem.

It's true that the standard tools shipped with Subversion don't support
that feature, but there's no reason why Subversion-the-filesystem couldn't.

Since the filesystem supports arbitrary named properties, you could use
a different tool, alongside the tools that ship as part of
Subversion-the-product, and store this information in the repository as
properties.

In fact, this is exactly what contrib/svnmerge in the Subversion
distribution does.