Subversion? (Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base)

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Sat Mar 4 14:17:12 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 11:00:18PM +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> +-Le 04/03/2006 22:34 +0100, Stijn Hoop a dit :
> | On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:29:55PM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> |> According to Stijn Hoop:
> |>
> |> Check out http://hg.fr.freebsd.org/ for Mercurial repos of the FreeBSD
> |> CVS ones.
> |
> | Yeah, I saw that earlier in the thread. However it appears to only
> | contain -CURRENT; I would think that it's actually doable to create a
> | Subversion -CURRENT mirror too right now (not easy though).
> |
> | The real problems appear while converting and tracking all the
> | releases, security branches, vendor branches and other weirdness in
> | the CVS repository.
>
> It contains only current because of mainly lack of time, and lack of, hum,
> people asking for something else. I's mainly as a proof of concept, even
> though I use it from time to time.

I'm not trying to slight your work here; I think it's great that
people explore alternatives to CVS, as I've tried to with Subversion
in the past. I know it's non-trivial to convert "only" HEAD to another
vcs. Like I wrote to Robert Olivier in a private e-mail I will check
out Mercurial to see what it's like, probably using this mirror.

But I do think that trying to convince people to completely switch
over to another vcs, be it Subversion, Mercurial or something else
entirely, won't work without a conversion that includes everything
from the source repository [1]. Only that way can people test their
workflows (branching a release, doing security merges, sliding ports
tags, etc) for real.

For 'perforce like' project development, having a -CURRENT mirror like
you set up will allow people to at least check out another vcs, but
IMHO it isn't enough for people to be able to tell whether a vcs can
replace CVS for the whole repository.

--Stijn

[1] well I personally could live without some of the cruft, for example
    all OLD_OLD_OLD_... "branches" that appear because of repocopies. But
    that's a discussion for another day :-)

--
Q: Why is Batman better than Bill Gates?