freebsd support the MPC8247 CPU?

Neil Ludban nludban at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 12:20:28 PDT 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:20:35 -0600
Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
> M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message: <200606020911.31207.jhb at freebsd.org>
> >             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
> > : On Thursday 01 June 2006 22:09, Wenbo Sun(SH) wrote:
> > : > Dear FreeBSD Administrator/Developer
> > : >
> > : > I want to know whether the FreeBSD OS support the MPC8247 CPU from the
> > : > Freescale Semiconductor or not.
> > : > I wish your reply, Thanks a lot!
> > :
> > : FreeBSD doesn't currently run on MIPS CPUs.
> >
> > The MPC8247 CPU is a PowerPC CPU.  FreeBSD does run generically on
> > PowerPC, but a quick grep of the tree shows nothing specific to this
> > CPU.
> >
> > Warner
>
> The 824x series are essentially G3 family CPUs.  The amount of effort
> required to bring up this CPU would be amount the same amount of effort
> needed to bring up a new ARM9 CPU.  The only thing that complicates it
> is that the current ppc support is really tailored for the Mac platform,
> so it assumes access to OpenFirmware during bootup.  That said, MPC824x
> and IBM 4xx series support would be awesome for getting into appliances
> that specialize in DSP.

Freescale broke their numbering scheme on this one.  It's a variant of
the MPC8272 (8247, 8248, and 8271 were the other numbers, IIRC - optional
ATM and security co-processor).  It has a 603e core, which is based on
the G2.

Try searching on the 8272 number and for PowerQUICC-II device drivers.
There were a couple incomplete NetBSD ports floating around the Internet,
but they were already old when I was working on a proprietary port
(for NetBSD) back in 2004.