freebsd support the MPC8247 CPU?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Jun 2 08:20:55 PDT 2006

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200606020911.31207.jhb at freebsd.org>
>             John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> writes:
> : On Thursday 01 June 2006 22:09, Wenbo Sun(SH) wrote:
> : > Dear FreeBSD Administrator/Developer
> : >
> : > I want to know whether the FreeBSD OS support the MPC8247 CPU from the
> : > Freescale Semiconductor or not.
> : > I wish your reply, Thanks a lot!
> :
> : FreeBSD doesn't currently run on MIPS CPUs.
>
> The MPC8247 CPU is a PowerPC CPU.  FreeBSD does run generically on
> PowerPC, but a quick grep of the tree shows nothing specific to this
> CPU.
>
> Warner

The 824x series are essentially G3 family CPUs.  The amount of effort
required to bring up this CPU would be amount the same amount of effort
needed to bring up a new ARM9 CPU.  The only thing that complicates it
is that the current ppc support is really tailored for the Mac platform,
so it assumes access to OpenFirmware during bootup.  That said, MPC824x
and IBM 4xx series support would be awesome for getting into appliances
that specialize in DSP.

Scott