pam_krb5 / pam_sm_setcred not getting called with PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Sat Sep 3 02:44:37 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm debugging a problem on 5-STABLE where I've setup a KDC using Heimdal
in the base system, and activated pam_krb5 in /etc/pam.d/sshd. It turns out
that pam_krb5 does not establish the credential cache for the authenticated
user. After reinstalling pam with DEBUG & PAM_DEBUG, it turns out that
pam_sm_setcred is only called with PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED as flags, and
never with PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED, which is the only case for which a credential
cache will be saved (in all other cases, PAM_SUCCESS is returned immediately,
which is why I don't have a cache).

My questions:

- is this due to my pam setup? I've used the default /etc/pam.d/ssh while
  uncommenting the pam_krb5 entries, and I've also tried having only pam_krb5
  as being required for all types. Both setups did not make any difference.
- shouldn't pam_krb5 re-establish the credential cache when called with
  PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED, instead of just returning PAM_SUCCESS? I'm a total
  pam newbie so I'm going only by the name of the flag; I couldn't find a
  manpage that made the semantics of these flags more clear.

--Stijn

--
"What if everything you see is more than what you see -- the person next to
you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another