diff(1)

Ted Unangst tedu at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 12:44:41 PDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> I don't know how much they've changed it, but I do know that it still
> uses whichever regexp engine you happen to have in libc.  In our case,

nothing earth-shaking changed.  it avoids regex for simple patterns which
places it roughly in the same speed bracket as gnu grep. (depends on how
many megabytes you're grepping if you'll notice a difference).  plus an
assortment of flags and corner cases which pop up when you make it system
default and lots of people start using it.