diff(1)

Tim Robbins tjr at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 17 16:14:11 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:21:38PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green at freebsd.org> writes:
> > Do you happen to know anything about the OpenBSD grep?
>
> a little:
>
> des at dwp ~/projects/openbsd/src/usr.bin/grep% head -5 grep.c
> /*      $OpenBSD: grep.c,v 1.29 2004/08/05 21:47:33 deraadt Exp $       */
>
> /*-
>  * Copyright (c) 1999 James Howard and Dag-Erling Co?dan Sm?rgrav
>  * All rights reserved.
>
> I don't know how much they've changed it, but I do know that it still
> uses whichever regexp engine you happen to have in libc.  In our case,
> that means good old Henry Spencer.  Last I talked to him, he was going
> to release a new, improved, and much faster regexp engine, but that
> was years ago and I still haven't seen anything come out of it.

Recent releases of tcl use a new regular expression package of his, but he
still doesn't appear to have done a standalone release. I considered
replacing our current implementation with the Tcl back before I added
multibyte character support, and it turned out to be much slower on almost
all "reasonable" test cases I could come up with.

Tim