/sys/conf is getting unwieldy to handle...

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 4 08:47:49 PDT 2004

In message: <41614235.5080704 at mullet.se>
            Martin Nilsson <martin at mullet.se> writes:
: Max Laier wrote:
: > Yet, there is a bit more to it. It would (imo) also involve some thinking
: > about the way we build modules (there is a TODO item "revised kld build
: > infrastructure" that seems to cover that part)
:
: Are there any really good reasons why we build lots of modules and most
: users uses kernels with nearly everything compiled in. Isn't it time to
: make GENERIC really small, just include what can't be loaded as modules
: and make loader.conf and the rc scripts load the rest? Of course this
: requres a stable module ABI and no use of options that break this.

I've been running this way for about 18-20 months.  Except for
sometimes forgetting to include acpi in the module list, it works
great.  Well, as long as I don't take short-cuts like 'NO_MODULES'
when I'm developing a new kernel.  However, I'm not building
third-party binary packages at the same time, which is the real
kicker.

I believe that we already have an 'include' statement, so someone
could easily try the include stuff on a prototype basis w/o any real
hassle.  That would let us get experience with how good or bad phk's
ideas are.  I suspect they are overly simplistic because they are too
lumpy: they include too many drivers that a typical custom kernel
would want to get rid of.  They just make GENERIC look nicer, but I'm
not sure how well it will help things.

Warner