/sys/conf is getting unwieldy to handle...

Martin Nilsson martin at mullet.se
Mon Oct 4 05:29:43 PDT 2004

Max Laier wrote:
> Yet, there is a bit more to it. It would (imo) also involve some thinking
> about the way we build modules (there is a TODO item "revised kld build
> infrastructure" that seems to cover that part)

Are there any really good reasons why we build lots of modules and most
users uses kernels with nearly everything compiled in. Isn't it time to
make GENERIC really small, just include what can't be loaded as modules
and make loader.conf and the rc scripts load the rest? Of course this
requres a stable module ABI and no use of options that break this.

/Martin

--
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin at mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, Web: www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux