RFC: bsdtar in 5.3

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Mon Jun 28 21:47:23 PDT 2004

Scott Long wrote:
> Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>> I would like to make bsdtar the default
>> FreeBSD system tar for -CURRENT within
>> the next week or so. ...
>
> I'm a little hesitant about making bsdtar be the default in 5.3, but I'm
> not against it.  Let's try this: once bsdtar can make it through a full
> bento package run without obvious problems, ...

We're pretty close.  Kris Kennaway has been using
bsdtar for package builds for a while now.  We've
been steadily working through the list of issues as
they arise, mostly by adding features to bsdtar.

I believe I finished the last items on that last
this past weekend, and am currently waiting
to hear from Kris if there are any further problems.

 > ... make it be the default in HEAD (before the 5.3 code freeze) ...

Hopefully, within the week, unless something new pops up
in the package builds before then.

> .. prepare ourselves to switch back to gtar for 5.3-R if needed.

My plan all along has been to leave both bsdtar and
gtar in the base system for a lengthy transition period.
(Maybe even until 6.0?)  The only difference is the
one "tar" symlink that gets repointed.  If it's necessary,
switching back will be very simple, indeed.

> having [bsdtar] be the default for 5.3 and 5-STABLE is a good and
> interesting goal, but we reserve the right to defer that goal if it
> starts holding up the release.  Does that sound acceptable?

That sounds entirely reasonable.  Thanks for
giving me a chance on this!

Tim