RFC: bsdtar in 5.3

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Jun 28 17:47:00 PDT 2004

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I would like to make bsdtar the default
> FreeBSD system tar for -CURRENT within
> the next week or so.
>
> That should give it broad enough usage
> over the next couple of months to prove
> that it's ready for 5-STABLE.
>
> My plan:
>
>   * Make /usr/bin/tar default to a symlink
>     to /usr/bin/bsdtar as soon as possible.
>     (Currently, it defaults to /usr/bin/gtar
>     unless you build WITH_BSDTAR.)
>
>   * Leave /usr/bin/gtar in the base system
>     through the 5.x cycle.
>
>   * For 6.0, remove /usr/bin/gtar and rename
>     /usr/bin/bsdtar to /usr/bin/tar.
>
> Any objections, suggestions, or comments?
>
> Tim Kientzle

I'm a little hesitant about making bsdtar be the default in 5.3, but I'm
not against it.  Let's try this: once bsdtar can make it through a full
bento package run without obvious problems, we make it be the default
in HEAD (before the 5.3 code freeze).  During the code freeze and the
BETA/RC cycle, we put a strong emphasis on testing it, but we also
prepare ourselves to switch back to gtar for 5.3-R if needed.  In other
words, having it be the default for 5.3 and 5-STABLE is a good and
interesting goal, but we reserve the right to defer that goal if it
starts holding up the release.  Does that sound acceptable?

Scott