Adding standalone RSA code

Andrea Campi andrea+freebsd_arch at webcom.it
Sat Dec 11 00:06:27 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 07:57:32PM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >In other words, rather than create an RSA library that your code links
> >against, just build .o's and list the .c's in your FreeBSD Update's
> >Makefile.  That way you can use this RSA code that you want to, but it
> >isn't exposed as a consumable library in FreeBSD's {,/usr}/lib.
>
> Ah, now I understand.  FreeBSD Update is a shell script, so I'd still need
> to add an rsa-verify program into /usr/sbin, but I'm quite happy to have
> it statically link my RSA code rather than installing a separate library,
> if that's what people would prefer.  Honestly, I thought that people would
> complain if I did it that way.

Can you offer a choice between using and installing your rsa-verify
and calling openssl? I guess it's just a matter of sed'ing FreeBSD
Update shell script to use one or the other.

Speaking as one user that values space over time in some installations,
I think this would be a win-win and would allow people to adopt
rsa-verify at their own pace. Or vice versa, if (when) rsa-verify
would become default, would allow security-conscious critics
that would prefer to stick with OpenSSL to just do so.

Bye,
	Andrea

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.