Things to remove from /rescue

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Jul 17 09:17:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:09:42AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > I think this is an excellent point.  David, can you provide actual numbers
> > of how much removing each of these programs saves?
>
> Then hell, lets just totally duplicate all of /[s]bin into /rescue.
> Remember this is BSD, this is Unix.  This isn't every other gargantuan
> OS.  Before you call me facious, seriously ask yourself what is the
> purpose of /rescue.

whatever it is, certainly the purpose is not to show how good
a sysadmin is in using a knife's blade as a screwdriver and a fork
and a spoon. Heck, even swiss army knives have these extra
tools.

I think that if something in /rescue can make the task faster
and less error prone, removing it to save 10-50k of disk space
would be a big mistake.

	cheers
	luigi