Things to remove from /rescue

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 17 09:41:05 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:17:00AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> whatever it is, certainly the purpose is not to show how good
> a sysadmin is in using a knife's blade as a screwdriver and a fork
> and a spoon. Heck, even swiss army knives have these extra
> tools.
>
> I think that if something in /rescue can make the task faster
> and less error prone, removing it to save 10-50k of disk space
> would be a big mistake.

You must not have seen my other email that listed other things than just
disk space.  If I did need to get to the Internet to get bits, what does
ipfw do for me that "sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable=0" doesn't?

If I'm repairing /, I'm not running services for someone to break into --
not to mention your system is so FUBAR if you're repairing /, maybe the
attacker would take pity on you and fix things for you (for the simple
price of storing some juarez for him). ;-)

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)