amd64/163442: boot/loader.conf not processed at boot time

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 21 12:43:33 UTC 2011

On 12/20/11 1:06 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 10:00 -0800, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>
>> insmod part_gpt
>> insmod ufs_2
>> set root='(hd1.gpt4)'
>> kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
>> kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
>> set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada1p4
>> set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
>
> Changing to the loader fixed things.
>
> kfreebsd /boot/loader
>
> Thanks for the help, discussing this lead me to looking for the beastie
> and the fix.

Uh, so using grub to load the loader was the fix?  That isn't a
real fix.  Can you disable the beastie (beastie_disable="YES") and
the automatic boot (autoboot_delay="NO") in loader.conf and then
either use a serial console or a camera to capture the messages on
the screen when it loads the modules.  Then do a boot -v from the
prompt and save the output of 'dmesg' to a file after it boots.
Put that file up somewhere where I can look at it to see if there
were errors parsing the modules loaded from the loader.

--
John Baldwin