amd64/163442: boot/loader.conf not processed at boot time

Thomas D. Dean tomdean at speakeasy.org
Wed Dec 21 17:55:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 07:43 -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 12/20/11 1:06 PM, Thomas D. Dean wrote:

> Uh, so using grub to load the loader was the fix?  That isn't a
> real fix.  Can you disable the beastie (beastie_disable="YES") and
> the automatic boot (autoboot_delay="NO") in loader.conf and then
> either use a serial console or a camera to capture the messages on
> the screen when it loads the modules.  Then do a boot -v from the
> prompt and save the output of 'dmesg' to a file after it boots.
> Put that file up somewhere where I can look at it to see if there
> were errors parsing the modules loaded from the loader.

Sorry, I was not clear.

I installed grub in my original configuration of the new machine, built
from components, no OS.  I created gpt partitions on two disks with
linux.

I installed windows 7 on the first disk, then, linux with grub on the
second disk, fixing grub to boot windows.  Then, I installed FreeBSD on
the second disk.  Again, I edited grub (in linux) to boot all three.

At this point, I had grub configured to directly load the FreeBSD
kernel, not using the loader.  So, any loader configurations were not
effective because the loader was never executed.  The beastie never
appeared.  Until the discussion on this list, I never noticed the
absence.  This was a mistake on my part. I wanted to use the FreeBSD
loader and get the benefits of configuring modules, etc., at boot time.

Going back to linux and configuring grub properly to use the FreeBSD
loader fixed the problem.

I can try to gather information, but, I will have to go back to the
improper (broken?) grub configuration to do it.

tomdean