via nano support

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at weinberg2.de
Mon May 4 05:44:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009 13:47:44 -0700
George Hartzell <hartzell at alerce.com> wrote:

>  > I have the same via mainboard (vb8001) described here
>  > (<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2009-
>  > January/011794.html>) and the same problem ("cpu doesn't support
>  > long mode"). The problem exists (as already reported above) with
>  > 7.1-R and also with the recent 7.2-images I just downloaded and
>  > tried. However, from the thread above I cannot figure out what
>  > the recommended solution is. Install 7.0 (which has been
>  > reported to run) and upgrade to -current (is the matter fixed
>  > there?)? Install 7.0 and upgrade to 7.1 or 7.2 patching out the
>  > strcmp() checks in the loader?
>  > Any other possibilities?

GH> I can vouch that -CURRENT runs on that board.  I didn't do the
GH> install on it though, just slide the vb8001 into a working system
GH> while the original motherboard is being RMA'ed.

Unfortunately not really an option here, since this is a new system
(without CD and Floppy, I rely on install via usb stick with bootonly
image and continue via net).
I tried to use 7.0-AMD64 to get started. Booted fine, but refused to get
anything useful out of the vge interface. :-(
Then I installed 7.2-i386 which booted fine and works with vge. Right
now I'm doing a cross-build to amd64 after having
modified /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/bootinfo64.c by hand.

GH> I'm sure it's too late to get the fix into the 7.2 release, but it'd
GH> be nice to see it move into -STABLE as sono as it's legal.

Yes, that would definitely be nice.

Do you have any further experience with the mainboard? From my first
glance everything else seems to work nicely. However, I didn't try
padlock, cpufreq/powerd and stuff like that so far.

cu
  Gerrit