via nano support

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Sun May 3 21:06:25 UTC 2009

Gerrit Kühn writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I have the same via mainboard (vb8001) described here
 > (<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2009-January/011794.html>)
 > and the same problem ("cpu doesn't support long mode").
 > The problem exists (as already reported above) with 7.1-R and also with
 > the recent 7.2-images I just downloaded and tried. However, from the
 > thread above I cannot figure out what the recommended solution is.
 > Install 7.0 (which has been reported to run) and upgrade to -current
 > (is the matter fixed there?)?
 > Install 7.0 and upgrade to 7.1 or 7.2 patching out the strcmp() checks
 > in the loader?
 > Any other possibilities?

I can vouch that -CURRENT runs on that board.  I didn't do the install
on it though, just slide the vb8001 into a working system while the
original motherboard is being RMA'ed.

I'm sure it's too late to get the fix into the 7.2 release, but it'd
be nice to see it move into -STABLE as sono as it's legal.

g.