Dual Core Or Dual CPU - What's the real difference in performance?

Nicole Harrington drumslayer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 23:04:28 UTC 2007

 Hello all,
 I have been building/using servers that were dual CPU
AMD Opteron systems for some time.  (usually 246
Opteron cpu's)

 Now of course the world is shifting to Dual Core.

 Using FreeBSD, what is really the difference, besides
power and ability to shove in more memory, between
having the two seperate CPUS's?

 What if I did 2, Dual Core cpu's? Would the SMP
overhead and sharing to a [Giant Locked] disk and or
network erase any benefits?

 Thanks!

  Nicole

The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
 -- Anon