amd64/108861: nve(4) driver on FreeBSD 6.2 AMD64 does not work at 1Gbps with nForce4 NIC

Paul Root ptroot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 23:32:56 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:01 PM, Scot Hetzel wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR amd64/108861; it has been noted
> by GNATS.
>
> From: "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel at gmail.com>
> To: "Lawrence Stewart" <lstewart at room52.net>
> Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: amd64/108861: nve(4) driver on FreeBSD 6.2 AMD64 does
> not work at 1Gbps with nForce4 NIC
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:58:36 -0600
>
>  On 2/6/07, Lawrence Stewart <lstewart at room52.net> wrote:
>> I could not find a fix for the problem.
>>
>> I also could not figure out why explicitly setting the NIC to sync
>> at 100baseTX full-duplex made the NIC work, but only at a fraction
>> of 100Mbps capacity.
>>
>> A work around is to cause the switch port the NIC is plugged into
>> to only allow 100baseTX, so that the NIC will autoselect at
>> 100baseTX and work at reasonable speed. You could also do as I did
>> and stick small 100baseTX switch in between the machine and
>> gigabit switch.
>>
>  Have you tried forcing the switch switch and the NIC to 1000baseT
> Full Duplex?
>
>  Sometime times auto-negotiation fails, so forcing speed should fix
> it.

If you have a switch set to 100 Full and auto-negotiate for the host,
the host will probably come
up as 100 Half, and you'll get a bunch of collisions. On cisco
switches, it can also cause the
switch to turn the port down, requiring the admin to get it back up.

If you set one side manually, set the other side, too.